Proposed Bylaw 20-2022 (pending final approval from Building and Technical Standards, May 2023)
The purpose of the Building Bylaw is to provide for the administration and enforcement of the Construction Codes Act, the regulations, the National Building Code of Canada, the National Energy Code of Canada for Buildings, ministerial interpretations and Saskatchewan Construction Standards Appeal Board orders and building official orders within the local authority.
In Saskatchewan, under the Construction Codes Act, SS 2021, c 9 Part 4 Section 16, local authorities (municipalities) are required to administer and enforce the Construction Codes Act (“the Act”) and regulations, through a locally adopted building bylaw and by appointing a building official.
- The RM of Britannia No. 502 has appointed Jeff Sydoruk of JWS Inspection Services as the local Building Official.
- The RM of Britannia No. 502 is in the process of adopting a building bylaw, Bylaw 20-2022. Bylaw 20-2022 is required to administer and enforce the Act and regulations (without a building bylaw, the RM does not have the authority to issue building permits, which allow the RM to administer the Constructions Codes Act, which the RM is required to do under the Act).
To determine whether or not your project requires a building permit, please review the RM's Development and Building - Public Information Document and contact the RM Development Services Officer at 306-825-2610. Please note, if you have received a development permit, you will likely need to apply for a Building Permit as well.
For More Information...
- Read more about the Construction Codes Act: https://canlii.ca/t/bbd4
- Link to Government of Saskatchewan Community Planning, Land Use and Development: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/government/municipal-administration/community-planning-land-use-and-development
- Link to Government of Saskatchewan Building and Technical Standards: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/business/housing-development-construction-and-property-management/building-and-technical-standards
- Link to Appeals to the Government of Saskatchewan Municipal Board: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/government/municipal-administration/appealing-decisions-made-by-municipalities