Welcome to R.M. of Britannia No. 502

The Rural Municipality of Britannia No. 502 has a geographical area of 950.87 square kilometres.   Located within the RM of Britannia are the Hamlets of Greenstreet and Hillmond.  The boundaries extend east to the RM of Eldon border, west to the Saskatchewan Alberta border, north to the RM of Frenchman Butte border and south to the RM of Wilton Border.

The Municipality is located in the heart of the Heavy oil industry and has a highly skilled workforce and a growing population of just over 1600 residence.

With a clean environment, wide-open spaces, abundance of raw materials, lower land and housing costs, reasonably priced and highly reliable electricity, natural gas and telecommunication services, the municipality is a prime spot for value added processing and manufacturing. The picturesque wooded hilly areas of the municipality combined with the scenic views of the Big Gully and North Saskatchewan River valleys offer many attractions for nature lovers, hunters, fishermen and outdoor enthusiasts in addition to excellent non-farm residential development opportunities.

News & Announcements


The RM of Britannia has received an Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaw Amendment application for the NE 23-50-28W3M Parcel A and B. This amendment will re-designate the subject land from;

  • Residential Policy Area to Rural Commercial Policy Area in Bylaw No. 17-2014 known as the Lloydminster Planning District Commission Community Plan.
  • A – Agriculture District to C1 – Rural Commercial District in Bylaw No.18-2014 known as the Lloydminster Planning District Commission Zoning Bylaw.

Please see the above attachments for addition information.

Council will hold a public hearing on August 24th, 2016 at 10:30 am in the R.M. of Britannia Municipal Chamber located at 4824 – 47th Street, Lloydminster, SK to hear any person or group that wants to comment on the proposed bylaw. Council will also consider written comments received at the hearing or delivered to the undersigned at the municipal before the hearing.

If you any questions or concerns please contact the Development Services Officer at 306-825-2610 or email dso.rm502@sasktel.net.



Border Creek

A reminder to all, in the Border Creek subdivision that in order to keep our roads in the great shape they are now, drivers should reduce speeds, especially around the corners. Also be mindful of children playing. 
Posted speed Limit is 40 KM



04:24 P.M.


Maidstone RCMP would like to advise that the river hill on Highway 21 at the North Saskatchewan River (Toby Nollet Bridge) has been reduced to 60 KM/HR as there has been a temporary site of operations for the river clean up. This site is set up on the east side Highway 21 at the North Saskatchewan River and has a significant amount of vehicle traffic coming on and off the highway. This has been identified as a road hazard and the speed zone has been changed accordingly by the Department of Highways.


The Maidstone RCMP is undertaking traffic safety initiatives in the area including checkstops and speed enforcement to facilitate the change in the speed from 100 KM/HR to 60 KM/HR. Please obey the signs and posted speed as it may prevent a serious collision and save a life.

The average speeding ticket for somebody going 20KM/HR over the posted speed limit is $130.

At this time, there is no end date for the speed zone change.


Pole Shed Structures and Engineering Requirements

Please see the attached document for information on the requirement for stamped engineers’ drawings on pole sheds.

A discussion occurred at a recent meeting in regards to this subject.  After looking into this, I have discovered that since farm buildings do not require building permits, most pole shed “packages” do not come with engineered plans.

When an acreage owner that does not live on land that constitutes an agricultural holding purchases a package for a pole shed, they are then required to have the plans stamped by an engineer, as per the National Building Code of Canada.  The National Building Code outlines the minimum standards required when building.  Since in Saskatchewan, we do not follow any other code besides the National one, there are no other provinces that have lower standards or fewer requirements than we have here in Saskatchewan.

The only instance in which a building inspector would not require an acreage owner to obtain stamped plans would be when the building package came with plans that had already been engineered – a cost that would have been included in the price of the package.  The price for an acreage owner to have plans stamped can often be an additional 5 to 10 thousand dollars above the cost of the package.

I guess this is a bit of buyer beware.  What sometimes seems like the cheaper route may not always turn out that way.  If you have any further questions on the subject, please feel free to contact our office at any time, or to contact our building inspector directly at the number below.

Jeff @ JWS Inspections – 780-808-5704

Pole Buildings PDF


Shoreline Development

If you are looking to develop near any shoreline you need to obtain an Aquatic Habit Protection Permit from the Water Security Agency prior to commencement. For more details click here.


Fire Ban

Please ensure that you are obtaining Burn Permits for ALL non-recreational fires and notifying the to proper offices to eliminate false fire calls for the Department.

Please continue to use the utmost care and caution when burning.

For your free Burn Permit contact the RM office at (306) 825-2610


Road Bans

We are happy to announce that we have been able to remove the road bans from two of the four roads we had banned.Township road 522, between range roads 3255 and 3262, is now open to primary weight traffic.Range road 3265, between primary grid 774 (4 mile) and township road 510, is also open to primary weight traffic.The road bans that remain unchanged are: 1) Range road 3281 from primary grid 774 (4 mile), north 1.5 miles 2) Township road 512 from highway 17, east 1 mile to range road 3280Thank you for continuing to work with us as we try to make our roads as safe as possible.

*Reminder: All R.M. of Britannia roads are set at SECONDARY weights.

Permits to haul over Secondary can be obtained by calling ROADATA at 1-888-730-3745.Permits do not allow travel on roads with bans, Road Bans must still be respected.


Overweight Permits

Please contact Road Data Services for all Overweight Permits for the RM of Britannia No.502                                                                                                                    Phone:  1-888-730-3745 or Visit their website: Roadata Website or Email: permits@roadata.com


Changes Are Coming To The RM!
Land use polices and regulations are currently under review. Help us draft a new Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaw that best reflects the needs of our community.

We welcome you to share your comments, feedback, complaints, ideas, concerns and thoughts regarding the existing and future land use direction in the RM.

Oil and Gas Leasing

What to Expect When You’re Expecting a Well


Resident Resource List
RM of Britannia Disaster Planning & Emergency Preparedness Committee would like your help to compile a resource list of equipment you may have on your property that could be used if there is an emergency.

Please take a minute to fill out the attached and please email or drop it off at the RM office. Thank You!

Resident Resource Form


Emergency Special Needs
We are concerned for those persons in our rural municipality who may have special needs during emergency situations. As part of our planning process, we are attempting to obtain information about these families.

Please complete and return the emergency special needs survey to the RM office. This will better assist in the responding agencies’ abilities to give the best response in the event of an emergency. Thank You!

Emergency Special Needs Form


Old Appliances Survey
The purpose of this survey is to examine if Saskatchewan residents, specifically within these communities, who still own old appliance(s), know about the SaskPower Refrigerator Recycling Program.  The survey will also ask some questions about your old appliance(s) and any replacement appliances.  The information collected helps us to evaluate the effectiveness of the program and make improvements for future years.

Customer Survey


Public Notices
Public notices are advertised in the Lloydminster Source newspaper. You can also view the newspaper online at www.lloydminstersource.com.

This is a free newspaper, no subscription needed.


Burning of Grain Bags
According to the Ministry of the Environment, it is illegal to burn grain bags on public or private property. Fines for burning grain bags range from $0 – 1 Million dollars based on the severity of the property. The most relevant restrictions related to grain bag burning can be found in The Environmental Management and Protection Act, 2002 under section 4 (1) – Probation on Discharges and in The Clean Air Regulations under section 11 – Probation, Burning.

At this time, there are 6 waste collection sites that take grain bags with an additional 6 sites to be added in the near future.

More information on these sites can be found at www.simplyag.ca or by contacting Travis Quark, Simply Ag – Coordinator, at 1-866-298-7222.